Saturday, June 21, 2008

Being a stay at home mom

At some point before getting married I knew that when I would have my own kids I wanted to be a stay at home mom. I was influenced by own mom who took it upon herself to quit her job and take care of all 4 kids. I never had a yaya and enjoyed having my mom there all the time. This is the same thing that I want to give my son. I want to able to care of him and watch him grow up.


Some people would probably think that being with your kid(s) 24/7 is just too much. Some will even say your son might turn out to be a mama's boy. I thought about this, looked at my own experience and other people's too and realized that kids will almost always attach themselves to their primary caregiver be it the mom, dad or a yaya. Being attached is not bad up to a certain extent. It can be positively used.  It can be used to help your child develop confidence and trust in you. Your child is certain that the parents are always there to give him unconditional love. 


I am closer to my mom because she took care of me but growing up I always yearned for independence. I know of some grown men that were not mama's boys even if their primary caregiver was their mom. I believe that as the child grows up the parent needs to learn to let go and know that he is there to guide and protect their child. We cannot hang onto our kids and treat them like babies forever. Cliche as it may sound, we have to teach them to spread their wings and fly. I admit that I have fears that I may hold onto my son too long but I always tell my husband to please bop me on the head if that happens. 


Now on the 24/7 part, I admit that I also need a break. A short trip to the grocery or the mall or even just time to do what I love too is important to me. After all we moms must not forget to love ourselves. We must not forget the things that we are passionate about that makes us the person we are. 


I love being a stay at home mom because I can devote my time to my family. I can better take care of my husband and my son. But mind you it does not come without sacrifices and problems.


 I am so blessed to be where I am and to have a great husband and sons. My reference point in everything is the Lord. I always pray that I will be the wife He wants me to be for my husband and the mother He wants me to be for my son. After all, we are not the masters of our lives but God is. 



No comments: